Sunday, March 4, 2012

That Was Not What Was Supposed to Happen

Yesterday, I felt a bit off, but didn't think much of it. But after I ate a snack around 3pm, I knew something was up, I just wasn't sure what. Irene and Dana had come up for the weekend, so that they could help Ryan out on Saturday and watch Sam during the race today, so I left work a bit early so we could all go out to dinner. As we headed out, I told Ryan that my stomach wasn't feeling great. We headed to Freeport to go to Buck's. Soon after we ordered, it became apparent that I needed to get to the bathroom as soon as possible. I really hate getting sick like this. It is the worst. I haven't been so sick since the "horrible, terrible, no good, very bad evening" a few years ago, and I had really hoped not to repeat that one. To make things worse, it is never good to be throwing up anywhere other than your own home. Long ago, I threw up multiple times from food/water poisoning at the train station on the way to see the Tower of Pisa. I've thrown up in a bathroom at work from some sort of flu bug. And now, well, Buck's, you can join that list. Blech! I took Irene and Dana's keys and drove myself home, leaving them there to finish dinner. I sat on the couch and hoped that there was no more to come. But, alas, there was. It was not a happy night. Poor Ryan had to help me back to bed a few times after I'd gotten up for the bathroom or gone in to tend to Sam in the middle of the night - she is in a Mama phase right now and it was easier to get up and quickly get her back to sleep than let Ryan go in and have things escalate into a full-on scream fest at midnight.

Needless to say, when I woke up, I knew I was not going to be racing today. Which was really really sad. I was looking forward to duking it out with Emma on the course today! Sounds like she ran an awesomely fast race though, and she certainly deserves that Bad Ass prize, but I had been hoping to fight her for it, for sure! :-) Instead, I spent the 3 hours after Ryan took off for the race trying to put on a good face for Sam, eating a few saltines, hoping that the puking had passed, and most of all, waiting for Irene and Dana to get there so they could take over on Sam duties and I could go back to bed! Thank you thank you Grammie and Grampie! You saved me today! I really appreciate it. After they got there, I went up for a nap, came down for "lunch" and then went right back up for another nap. Wow, I haven't felt this weak or tired in a long time.  

I am, thank goodness, feeling a bit more human now, and have managed to get some food and a few Nalgenes of Gatorade into myself. Even better, no puking since midnight last night, so I am hopeful I am on the mend. I think it is going to be a rest week though... Ah yes, well, it wouldn't be like me to actually be able to follow through on planned mileage for more than one week in a row, right?! Ha. And with that, I'm off to bed!

P.S. Nice work to all the Trail Monsters at the race today! Looked like some great times out there! And big props to Ryan and Ian for putting on what is a great snowshoe series. Despite the fact that I didn't turn out to be an official "BadAss," Ryan brought my shirt home to me anyways. Sam thought it was pretty cool :-)

5 comments:

unstrung said...

i am so, so sorry that you have been hit with the bug of doom with such crummy timing. glad you had some sam help today and got some rest. really is amazing how many people have been crazy sick - and with so many different types of miseries. sheesh. really hoping that spring will mean way better health for all. only a WEEK to daylight savings!!

middle.professor said...

yuck. hope you have a quick and strong recovery.

Scout said...

Ditto on the previous comments. I am glad you're feeling better so quickly (though I'm sure not nearly quickly enough for you!).

mindy said...

Not fun at all :( Glad you are feeling better!

Sparkplug said...

Thanks guys! Feeling better, although as Val guessed, a bit more slowly than I would have liked :-) Sounds like we're in for some warm days ahead so I am looking forward to opening up the house and airing things out to get rid of all these silly winter germs!!