Monday, March 19, 2012

Warm 20

Despite my intentions, I hadn't managed to get in a 20 mile run this winter until this morning. I took Sam into daycare today, as we're going to visit with some friends tomorrow, and decided I would take advantage of the beautiful weather to get out for a long run. With trail conditions being what they are, I decided I would just wing it on the route, not knowing exactly what I would find out there. I got out the door a little after 9:00, running the powerlines for the extended Homeplace loop first. I actually got rained on in the first mile, as a big storm cloud moved through, but that quickly cleared, bringing with it blue skies.

Large stretches of the lines were in good shape, but there were a few seriously postholey, quicksandy spots where all I could do was tread very carefully and hope I didn't get sucked in! :) That loop done, I decided I would head to the cart paths, knowing they were in good shape. Once I had done that loop, I got onto the dirt road and ran back to Topsham Crossing to hop onto the powerlines again for a short ways before popping back out on Highland Green Road and running down to the river on the Barnes Leap Trail. The trail wasn't really good for running yet, but it was a nice change of pace, and I just couldn't help myself - the river is so pretty right now. I finished up the run with another loop on the cart paths and a bit of roads to even out the miles.

I felt good for the first 10 miles, coming through right at 10:00 pace, but by the time I hit Barnes Leap around 14.5 miles, I was starting to feel the heat, and beginning to wilt a bit - definitely not used to running in 60 degree weather yet, especially for a long run! I slowed a bit in the final miles, finishing up the 20 in 3:25:02, but am happy to have gotten the miles in! Trying to figure out a route along the way actually kept my mind occupied, and I had a few good flora/fauna sightings too to keep me amused. Saw a number of Mourning Cloak butterflies soaking up the sun, watched a Pileated Woodpecker fly over the trail early on in the run, was surprised to see a Wood Frog hop across the cart path near the Heath, scared up a deer near hole #2 on my first loop through, spotted a male cardinal calling up high in a tree, and even saw a few Coltsfoot blooming in the sun along the back dirt road. Spring indeed!

2 comments:

unstrung said...

Ooh, I have always wondered what those butterflies are called. Kudos on the TWENTY!

Scout said...

Sounds like a strong 20 and a sweet run with all the flora and fauna :D