Friday, March 9, 2012

Blustery

Amazing what a difference one warm spring day makes! So much snow melted yesterday, and what 24 hours ago was really nice snow running had turned into large patches of smooth, solid ice. So much for running the powerlines this morning. I ended up just running the short 3-mile Highland Green loop, and it was slow slow slow. I could not move quickly on any of the trail stretches. I had to walk around big ice patches, bushwack through the brush or slowly skate across the treacherous spots if there was no other way around. Add in the blustery wind, pushing at me in every direction, and the fact that I just felt low energy, and it meant that what would normally take me around 25 to 26 minutes on a normal day took 30 this morning. Ah well. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night - Sam was up at all hours and then up early this morning - and while I am feeling better, my stomach still feels a bit unsettled at times. Who knows? In any event, I am definitely looking forward to a better week next week!

I did a little looking at the calendar and my training plan this morning after my run, and decided that, given how this week has gone, I will plan for a relatively mellow week next week, with no big long runs, just a solid 35 miles total. This should allow me the chance to still get in what will hopefully be 3 big weeks, and then a few weeks of taper to the TARC 50k at the end of April. And after that, hopefully I can sneak in another big run or two and be ready for Pineland!

No comments: