Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Stuff

Got in a slow and creaky 5 miles this morning. The powerlines to Highland Green Road were sketchy without screwshoes, and the edges of the roads were icy from all the melt yesterday and the cooler temps in the morning. Meh. After the run, I hopped in the car for some errands and an appointment down in Portland. On the way back home, I saw a Bald Eagle fly over near the bay along the Gilsland Farm Audubon Sanctuary. Always a nice sighting!

The afternoon was consumed with stuff (literally!). Aside from getting some good running in this winter, one of my main goals is to clear out the loft so that we can make a proper office space for Ryan and get our guest bed up there too, moving it from Sam's bedroom so that she can have more room to play, and people could actually stay with us if they wanted! It is a serious undertaking, as the attic space in the eves is full of stuff (ie. crap we haven't needed or looked at in the past 6 years since we've moved here) and the loft itself is literally overflowing with stuff (hiking and backpacking stuff, ski stuff, snowshoes, and everything else that doesn't have a good spot anywhere else in the house). In other words, there is a lot of sh*t up there! I had gotten a start on things in the past two weeks, but in order to move forward, I needed Ryan's help to clear out the eve space and make some decisions on odds and ends. So we spent a good two hours up there this afternoon, organizing boxes and throwing out a lot of junk, with a little bit of swearing thrown in for good measure. I also took another load to Goodwill. There is still a lot to do, but we can see the floor now :-)

In amongst the boxes were piles of photos and memorabilia. Some of it just has to be kept - the guest book from our wedding, letters Ryan sent me while I was in France junior year, old photo albums, etc. It was fun to look through some of these things I hadn't thought of in years! We found some good old photos too. Ha!

Paris, 1996. Wow, we were young!

I also found my old running logs from 1995 to 2005. I decided I didn't really need the logs themselves, but I did make notes on my miles. So, for the sake of posterity and record-keeping, here goes:

1995: 439.5
1996: 1133.5 (Wow! I'm impressed with myself. No idea I had run that much in the 90s.)
1997: 844.5
1998: 777.5
1999: incomplete (only 370.5 as of 10/1/99)
2000: 219.75
2001: 431.7
2002: 542.6
2003: 423.5
2004: 504.25 run/283.4 hike
2005: 301.5 run/1528.3 hike (AT)

Who knew I ran so much junior and senior year of college? And wow, how quickly the miles dropped off once we had graduated! :-) I know we hiked a lot after 1999, when we moved to Bethel and then to North Conway, but apparently I didn't start to keep a record of hiking miles until 2004. Ah, the memories :-)

3 comments:

Jeremy Bonnett said...

If the logs have any other information in them you should keep them. You never know how interesting it could be on a rainy day when you're 80 to read them! Strong work on the miles by the way.

pathfinder said...

I agree, it is fun to look back and read about such things....funny how our perception cahnges as we age.

Scout said...

Running logs, photos, old letters...it's no wonder cleaning out places takes so long! I love the picture of you two...but you really haven't changed!