Monday, January 30, 2012

Mind Games

I got out this morning for a quick three miler before taking Sam to the Pineland Farms story hour for our morning activity. It started to snow shortly before I went out, and big, fluffy flakes were falling as I ran along the powerlines. The light was very flat, and there was just enough snow on the ground to make it hard to see what was snow and what was ice. The bare ground was easy to spot, though - and boy, did the soft sand feel odd to run on while the snow fell! I was happy to realize that I didn't feel sore from yesterday's faster pace, but I did feel tired. We all seem to have some sort of low-grade cold again, and it's zapping my energy a bit. Ah, gotta love going through a winter with a 2-year old in the house!

As I was running along, I was thinking about my training, and how I'm feeling a bit intimidated by what everyone else is doing at the moment. There are a lot of Trail Monsters running the Peaks Ultra 50 miler this spring, which is two weeks before Pineland. Mindy and Val, and everyone else, have been out on lots of long, hard runs already in their preparation for the race, and while I have lots of grand plans swirling around in my head, somehow life seems to get in the way a little too much for me, and I have only managed to get in one run over 12-13 miles this month - last week's 16 miler - and haven't managed to build up to quite the weekly mileage I had hoped for so far. Now, there is a lot of time until the end of May, yes. And yes, everyone trains differently and has different things going on. I know this. I cannot expect us all to train the same way. And honestly, this is probably the most consistently I've trained in January in a long time, even with the Gator Trial 50k in March last year. But, it's hard not to compare. Sigh. Man, I really need to get my crazy little head under control! (To this, Ryan says, yes, yes, yes.) Hopefully a good long run tomorrow will do the trick! :-)

~The theme of the books at story hour this week was snow. Maybe the little silly snow dance we did there will actually mean it snows enough to ski at Pineland again soon! Wouldn't that be nice?! ~

6 comments:

mindy said...

Oh, mind games SUCK!! Hey, didn't you just WIN a snowshoe race? And place in the top three in all the trail races you've done this past year? You're badass, girl (plus, you never get injured!). Whatever you're doing, keep doing it! I think you will excel in anything you do. I often wonder if there is a certain race distance that people start to gravitate to and one of the benefits of our group is that everyone is always trying difference distances and difference types of races. I know I would die on a 3.5 mile snowshoe race or even a 5K, I am not built for speed, but I so greatly admire all the speedy monsters (like yourself) who seems to have endless leg power. Maybe your schedule is allowing you to run just the amount of miles that you need to stay healthy but also to try all the different distances to see what is the most fun. No matter what, you have a huge family of Trail Monsters who have probably felt the same exact way and who also have your back at any event or training run. :)

mindy said...

OK, I'm obsessing about my comment. I hope it came out the right way. What I mean to say, is that you seem to excel even when maybe you feel you're not getting the miles in you want. There's no doubt you could tear up any distance. There's plenty of time till May - you'll slay it.

Sparkplug said...

Oh Mindy, your comment came out just the way you intended. Thank you :-) And you are totally right, the TMs are good motivators and friends, and we are all so lucky to have each other to motivate and support us when we need it!

Scout said...

Wow! I was going to leave a comment that would have tried to say what Mindy said.

Who's the reigning Bradbury BadAss Women's Series Champion? Didn't you rock out two 50k's last year??? You'll do fine and you'll do it your way!

unstrung said...

just want to chime in and say i agree - you are a total badass, and you rock, hands down. i understand the mind-games-thing, and i think we all do. there has been a lot of that going around these days i think. but we are all in this together. ditto what squirrel and scout said.

Sparkplug said...

Thanks Val and Xar! :-)