Sunday, January 15, 2012

Double Digits!

I wimped out on meeting Val and Rick this morning at the Brad. Sorry guys! :( Given that I'm still trying to get rid of the remains of this cold, it didn't seem like the smartest idea to go run for an 1 1/2 in sub-zero temps. The thermometer was reading -4.6 degrees when Sam and I came downstairs at 6:30 this morning. Brrrrr!

We spent the morning ransacking the living room, reading books and singing songs, painting and in general making as big a mess as a 2-year old can make, all while trying to give Ryan some space. As the last one in the house to pick up Sam's cold, he's feeling bad, and well, let's face it, he's not a good sick person, so it's best to try to leave him alone :-) Hard to do with Sam around, but we tried!

I waited until naptime and the temps reached a blamy 10.4 degrees and headed out for my run once Sam was asleep. Bundled up, with the wind at my back, it didn't seem all that bad out, but once that wind started whipping, it certainly felt colder than 10 degrees. Or maybe, it's just that it's been such a mild winter... Or I'm a wimp :-) But whatever. I ran the powerlines down to Bay Park. Some stretches were good and solid, and I could keep up a good pace, but elsewhere, as new sleds went along the trail, they churned up the frozen surface, leaving snow the consistency of powdered sugar, leaving me with no traction and turning the run into a bit of a slog. Got in a slow 5 miles, and am happy to be feeling better and be out running again!

Big flocks of robins, their breasts a rich burnt orange, were everywhere. I assume they are migrating south from their homes up north, as this is the first I've seen of them this winter. Pretty.

2 comments:

mindy said...

Glad you're feeling better - now we have to get Ryan back to 100%!

unstrung said...

Ditto what the Squirrel said!