Monday, January 23, 2012

Out in the Snow

I did a short 4 mile run this morning before taking Sam to the doctor for her ear check - All clear! Hurray! - and felt rather stiff and tired. I headed out on the powerlines, but my right calf and ankle were protesting the soft snow a bit so I turned onto Highland Green road until the Garmin beeped 2 miles, and then decided I would come back via the high school road so I could check the status of the fields. Our neighbor had told us that they had been grooming them, which I remembered from last year, and I wondered if they had done so since the last snowfall. And indeed, they had. The tracks actually looked pretty nice. Excellent! I really have been wanting to get Sam out on her snowshoes and this seemed the perfect spot.

So, after the doctor's appointment, we suited Sam up in her snowsuit, got ourselves organized and headed over to the fields. It was a good morning for it. Temperate, and no wind. Sam was very excited to get on her snowshoes, but they are still a bit big for her, and she didn't last long in them. Ah well. We tried!

Testing out the snowshoes

Snowshoeing with Daddo

After she took her snowshoes off, we walked with her up into the woods. She had fun picking up the snow, and stepping off the edge of the groomed path to sink into the deeper snow.

Let's try the deep snow!

This is fun!

Walking with Daddo

YEAH! I love the snow!

If we had remembered to put the Ergo back into the car, we would have put her on my back and trekked around a bit longer, but I guess Ryan needed to get some work done anyway, so home we went.

I'd call it a successful first snowshoe foray for the kiddo, and hopefully we'll get her out on them (and her skis too) again soon!

No comments: