Friday, January 6, 2012

Snow!

Ronnie woke me up this morning before anyone else was awake, and I padded downstairs in the darkness. Sam was still sleeping. A light snow was falling. I started the coffee, and sat down at my computer. All was quiet. Ahhhh. Sam ended up sleeping until 7:20, so we were running a bit behind in the end, but it was a very peaceful start to the day! Typically, Sam has been waking up right around 6:05, so I will take any extra time I can get!

After I got her off to daycare, I came home to get in a short run before work. I didn't have enough time for my planned 5, so three would have to do. I ran the short Highland Green loop, backwards. The snow squeaked and crunched under my feet, and the flakes stuck to my eyelashes. I was being very careful, not knowing exactly what was under the coating of new snow. And then, when I least expected it, I planted my foot on the edge of a big patch of glare ice on the powerlines and down I went. Hard. I had no chance at saving myself. The ice was too slick, and the expanse too big. I whacked my elbow and head, and lay there for a few seconds, a bit stunned. I got up gingerly and yelled a few choice words to the sky. My elbow hurt. A lot. I picked my way across the ice flow at the base of the powerline hill and slowly made my way up, walking carefully. Finally, with about a 1/2 mile to go, my elbow felt like it could swing again and I shuffled my way home. That was not very nice... but at least I got my first fall of the winter out of the way!

No comments: