Monday, October 31, 2011

Slick

Sam had a worried little look on her face as Ryan said "Be careful!" when I headed out the door this morning for my run. So cute. It was 7:30, the thermometer was reading 28 degrees and things were looking pretty slick from our front window. All that melting snow and slush? Now solid ice. (Of course, as I write this post, it's over 40 degrees out and all that solid ice is now melting again. Guess it's that time of year!)

I hit the powerlines, and after only that short stretch, decided that it wasn't going to be the morning for a true trail run, as I didn't have my screw shoes on and I wasn't feeling confident about all the ice out there. So I turned onto Highland Green road to do the 5 mile road loop. A bit of black ice on the pavement, but otherwise not bad. And the part that Ryan had thought would be the worst of the loop - the back dirt road - was probably the best running. A few cars had driven that stretch of road right after the storm yesterday, and with the afternoon sun, the snow had melted, leaving a firm, packed dirt road. Perfect.

After my shower, Sam decided it was time for her workout, and so we ran laps through the house, with Sam giggling and laughing as I chased her between the stairs and the dishwasher. We stopped every once in a while, at her request, to sit and "rest" on the landing. But I guess Sam believes in very little time between intervals though, as none of those rest stops lasted for long :-)

2 comments:

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Good. I thought you wrote sick not slick. Phewwww...

Sparkplug said...

Ha! Funny what the mind will automatically read when you look at a word you think you know... I'm glad I wrote "slick" and not "sick" too. Don't need that!