Thursday, October 20, 2011

Five in the Mist

Got out this morning for a quick spin around the Highland Green loop. 5 miles in 41 minutes and change. If I'm short on time (when am I not?!), I find that this loop is the best one to do. I don't want to run on the roads for each and every run, but there's nothing like roads for allowing one (for me, at least) to run a decent clip and get in a bit more mileage within an alloted amount of time than I might if I were running on trails, especially twisty turny trails with wet bog bridges and roots. Hopefully I'll have a bit more time tomorrow morning so that I can get back out in the woods for a bit more leisurely run :-)

Not that I'm really running with anything in mind right now. With Pisgah done, I don't have any races on the immediate horizon. I've raced a lot this year (for me), and I'm happy for the break. I'm not like Ryan. I don't run to race. I run because I love running, to be outside, enjoying my time in the woods or on the roads. Without a race in front of me, I don't feel pressure to run a certain amount of miles. I can be content to get in 25 to 30 miles a week, to maintain my base. I don't have to run super long. We can have some quiet weekends at home together. And honestly, all of this is nice. But on the other hand, I am a planner. I like to have a goal to work towards. Which begs the question, "What's next?" Gotta start looking at race calendars, I guess :-)

2 comments:

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm happy to be relaxing a bit as well.
Are you thinking of snowshoeing?

Sparkplug said...

Definitely planning on the snowshoe series. Don't know how it will go, but I'm sure it will be fun (as in painful :-) )! Enjoy your break, and hope to see you soon!