Monday, May 23, 2011

Let's Face It...

...it is just not nice out there today. There is no way around it. It is rainy. And 47 degrees. Lovely! But Sam is at daycare today, since they are closed on Friday, which means I have a free day to run and get as much as possible done around the house before my parents arrive later this week to help with Sam on Friday while I work, and then again on Sunday, while Ryan and I run. So, even though it is yuck, yuck, yucky out there, I suited up and headed over to the Commons, well, because I had the time, so why not? Even though I was in tights and long sleeves, I was cold for the first few miles. The wind whipped the rain in my face as I crossed the playing fields and headed into the woods. I wished I had thought to bring gloves!

I had hoped I would see lots of ladyslippers today. After all, it is that time of year, and typically the Commons yield lots of them. But today, although I counted a good number of them (80+, seriously!), only one or two actually had the pink slipper visible. The rest were still little whirls of green, bent over, waiting for some sun and warmth. And yes, while the woods were quite gorgeous with all the lush greenery, and the forest floor was covered with starflowers, wood anemone, bunchberries, lily of the valley, blue bead lilies and false lily of the valley, and the swamp azalea and bright fuscia trailing arbutus stood out in wonderful contrast against the green ferns and leaves, it was rainy and cold and well, just not nice out. I'm trying to have a good attitude about this weather, but seriously, I need some sun! So, who out there can order that up for me? Anyone?! :-)

1 comment:

mindy said...

I know where the sun is!!! :)