Sunday, May 2, 2010

Morning 12

When I headed out the door this morning at 6:50, the skies were overcast but there were some beautiful low clouds with a hint of light coming through. The birds were chirping, and I finally saw the Towhee that I've been hearing on the past few powerline runs. At the end of the powerlines, I took a right on the road and headed up into the park that I explored a bit on a previous run. There aren't many trails in the park, but it was a nice way to make a good loop with the powerlines. The trails dumped me out in a neighborhood and then back onto the powerlines near Rt. 24. Around this time, it started to rain. Luckily, it didn't last long, and didn't rain hard.

When I got back to the Highland Green Road, I took a right into the development, and hit the Cathance trails at the quarry. The woods were gorgeous this morning, full of lush greenery and lots of blooming spring wildflowers. Bluets, rue anemone, goldthread, hobblebush, wild oats, starflowers, a few ladyslippers, indian pipe, and several beautiful patches of vibrant pink trailing arbutus. As always, it was wonderful wandering along the river and through the woods on the twisty turny trails, but I admit to feeling pretty tired today. Although Sam had a better night's sleep last night, I was still up a number of times and I think the sleep deprivation is catching up with me! I was happy to take Ryan's advice and just run 12 miles instead of 15. I finished the run in 1:52:54, and was extra happy to be know we were meeting Irene and Dana for breakfast at Broadway Deli! The fruit pancakes really hit the spot :-)

And just for fun, here are a few photos from today:
Kitty in a bowl :-)

Sam taking a break during our walk on the bike path.

I can grab Daddy's hair!

Yum! Baby Mum-Mums! (our first attempt at finger foods)

2 comments:

Scout said...

Great shots!

I always look forward to seeing my first Bob-o-link. Seems like there are less and less of them every year :(

Sounds like you had a great weekend of running without your planned long run.

Sparkplug said...

I love the Bobolinks! They are such cool birds. There are a few good fields in the Brunswick area where they still nest, and it is such fun to run near the fields in the spring. Which reminds me, I'll have to do that run sometime soon! But I know... I think less and less fields are being kept up so that they can nest. So sad.