Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Four on the Powerlines

I was pretty sad last night. Sam only slept for a 1/2 hour at daycare yesterday. Yes, only 30 minutes all day long! They tried everything. I know it is frustrating for the caregivers, and it is frustrating for us. Sam, on the other hand, might be tired but she is still a pretty happy little baby. How she does it, I just don't know, although I am glad she does, as it would be way worse if she didn't sleep much and was a crankypants. Anyway, since she had last woken up at 12:30, she had already been awake for 5 hour by the time I walked in the door at 5:30 after work. So, I fed her, put her in the bath, where she contentedly played with her bath toys and babbled, fed her some more and put her right to bed. She was asleep by 6:00 on the dot. I know she needed to go down early, but it was sad to get home and have to put her right to sleep. It is hard enough knowing that on a typical night I will only get an hour or so to be with her before bedtime. Poor little one. Doesn't she realize that sleep is good?!

This morning when she woke up, we played on the bed and on the mat, had a few bites of carrots, which she did not like, and she was yawning away. So, up to her room to eat and go back to sleep. When she first went down to sleep, I came downstairs, drank my coffee and finished my breakfast, and basked in the quiet. But then I realized I still had time to run! It was only 8:00! And Ryan was home to get Sam if she woke up. Gotta take advantage of these mornings!

I headed across the street and did a nice 4 mile run on the powerlines. A gentle breeze was blowing, it was in the high 50s, the sun was shining, the birds were singing and the rhodora was blooming amongst the greenery. Beautiful. I felt good, and the run made me realize once again how lucky I am to be healthy and to be a runner, especially a trail runner. Running is my personal form of therapy and meditation and stress relief all rolled into one. And on a gorgeous morning like this one, it is hard to stay sad while out running :-) Especially when I got home and realized Sam was still asleep - she must have been making up for yesterday, because she ended up taking a 2 hour nap! Hurray!

1 comment:

pathfinder said...

Sam's a smart girl and she knew you needed that run...