Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fun-Filled Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there! I'm not a real holiday person, and there certainly weren't any Mother's Day gifts exchanged in this house, but it is nice to know there is a day set aside to celebrate being a mom. And I fully enjoyed my first Mother's Day!

The day started with the Portland Sea Dogs Mother's Day 5k. Kristen had told me earlier this year that one of her goals this year was to run a race. So, I searched around and in amongst the millions of 5ks held every weekend, I found this one. It sounded perfect so I signed us up!

All suited up and ready to go!

It was a great race! I had so much fun running with Kristen, and she did awesome. It was her first race ever and I am so proud of her! We ended up running 29:49 for 9:36 pace (results). Way to go Kristen! Maybe she'll even get hooked, and we'll be back next year :-)

Kristen, with ponytail flapping, finishing strong in Sea Dog stadium

The race was huge - 3000 people turned out to run - so it was a bit overwhelming and crazy - but it was cool to watch the sea of humanity running around us, and to finish at home plate in the stadium. Ryan and Sam, and Rob, Morgan and Caitlin, came out to support us, and we ran into Jamie, Stephen and Kelly, and Lily too. Jeff also ran a great race, although I missed him.

After the race Kristen, Rob, Morgan, Caitlin, Ryan, Sam and I went to Tim Horton's for coffee and an after-race treat, which was nice. Sam held up really well all morning long, and then took a well-deserved nap in the car on the way home.

Later in the afternoon, we decided to try out the Kelty backpack that Meghan and Chris had gotten us for Christmas, and head over to the Cathance trails for a short jaunt in the woods. Sam definitely has to get used to hanging out in the backpack :-) And she loved it! She was laughing and talking and bouncing the whole time we were out. It was so cute! The perfect end to a nice day with the family :-)

I love the backpack!

Family portrait by the vernal pool

Happy baby, happy daddy

No comments: