Friday, May 7, 2010

5:15 Wake-up Call

Sam has decided that sometime between 5:00 and 5:30 is a good time to wake up for an early morning breakfast. This morning it was 5:15. Now, as I have said before, I'm an early riser, and also like to eat breakfast early, but not that early! However, on occasion, these early morning feedings turn out to be a good motivator to get out for a run! I'm up anyway, so why not?

So this morning, after I fed Sam and put her back to bed, I suited up, stretched, had a snack and headed out the door. My plan was to run 6 miles on a "new" loop that includes going out on the powerlines to Foreside Road and doing a short road section before turning off into a little park that has a good sledding hill and a few nice woodland trails. I hit those trails until they dead-ended into a neighborhood, took a few turns on the roads and ended back up on the powerlines at the bottom of the big hill. This lollypop turns out to be exactly 6 miles. Nice.

It was a good morning to be out, with the sun shining, the birds chirping and even more wildflowers coming up in the woods. Lots of false lily of the valley, starflowers, rue anemone and violets in the woods and lots of rhodora and blueberry bushes in bloom along the powerlines. Very pretty. The only downside of the run was that the wind was whipping around, and there was a strong headwind the whole way back. But I felt good, and finished the six miles in good time, so I was happy. Even better was that when I got back, Sam was still asleep! She ended up sleeping until 7:30, which was a nice bonus :-)

No comments: