Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Easy Three

I had my running clothes out and ready to go last night before I went to bed assuming that Sam would be waking up around 5am, and I would get to go for a run after I put her back to bed. Instead, she was on the 10:00, 2:00, 6:30 plan today, so I got to sleep a little bit longer! I might have been able to sleep even longer if I had let Ryan go into her room at 2:00 as planned. We are trying to wean her off at least one of her nighttime feedings. The plan was to have Ryan go in first during the second waking and see if he could soothe her back to sleep without me feeding her. But, I have a hard time listening to her cry, and I also wake up more easily than Ryan. So, at 2:00, I went in to her. What can I say? I'm a sucker. While I would like her to sleep longer, I'll be the first to admit that I am not ready to wean her off the nighttime feedings completely, because, she's only 7 months old and is pretty tiny; she's also breastfed, meaning she's more likely to digest her food faster and need more of it during the night. Also, the more I nurse her, the more my supply keeps up, and hopefully the longer I can supply her during the day with breastmilk. (Sorry if that was too much information.)

Anyway, since she woke up at 6:30, we went downstairs and she played for a while, had some banana and avacado, squealed at the cats and grabbed Gigi's tail (Gigi did not like that, but luckily I was in between the two of them, so Gigi thought it was me doing the grabbing and batted at my hand instead!), and played some more. Then she went down for her early morning nap at 8:00 and I was able to sneak out and get in a quick run. In fact, Ryan practically commanded me to get out the door, knowing I would be upset if I missed the run today. I really was in fact planning to run, but the extra kick certainly got me into gear a little faster!! :-)

I ran the short Highland Green loop and felt good and strong, which I took as a positive sign after my Monday 20 miler and a day off yesterday. The only thing that bugged me during the run was my allergies. I have had allergies forever, although they have gotten progressively better the older I get. But, the seasonal allergies, especially in the spring, are still bad. Normally I would be taking some allergy medication, but this year, because I'm nursing Sam and can't find any definitive research on whether or not Singulair gets passed into breastmilk and/or if it's safe to take, I'm not. And I can't take any over the counter stuff either, because the point of those drugs is to dry you up, meaning not only your sinuses but everywhere, and well, I don't need that right now either. So, I'm suffering through this allergy season unaided by any medications. And let me tell you, I am not someone who advocates over-medicating, but man, Singulair really works for me! I can definitely tell I'm not taking it, and I hope I can get through the next few months without being in a constant pollen-induced haze!

No comments: