Sunday, May 16, 2010

Gorgeous Day

I started off this beautiful day with a 10 mile run on the Cathance trails. Ryan had devised a 9 mile loop there, and despite the fact that he thought I wasn't listening to his directions as I was headed out the door, I managed to follow his route without much problem. It was the same for the first 6 miles to my 'typical' route through the trails, but added on some nice additions in the last few miles. I popped back out onto the Highland Green road after 8 miles, so to get up to 10 miles, I took one of the dirt roads we've noted on Google Maps but which I hadn't been on before - as promised, it dropped me out down by Topsham Crossing, and I took the powerlines back home. I hit the mailboxes and the Garmin was reading 10.1 miles. Perfect. It was a great run, and I felt strong.

While I was running, along with noticing all the wildflowers, I was thinking a lot about the 50k. I am a bit nervous. I hope I am ready, and have gotten in enough training. I certainly didn't get in any truly high-mileage weeks, but the reality is that I've done OK without hitting really high miles in the past. Of course, trail running is a bit different, as I'm bound to be out there for a much longer time. I do wish one of my longest runs had been over 20 miles, and I wish I had gotten out to run on the Pineland trails more than once too. Ah well. Would a few more miles every week make much of a difference? Perhaps. But it was just not to be this time around, so I'll have to go with what I've got. I know I can get through the 31 miles. I might be small (and even smaller than I've been in a long time at this point, although certainly not intentionally! I'm blaming what I've coined the "sleep deprived, nursing, working, running mama" diet :-) ) but I know my body can go, go, go. I'll just have to keep going, and hope that things don't get too painful! I'd like to be able to run 10-minute miles throughout the race, and gain the 50k PR in this household :-) but that's my high-reach goal, and I also know I'll be happy to just finish strong. Regardless, it will be an experience, that's for sure :-)

Anyway, I came home happy with my run, and after Ryan got in his run, we headed out with Sam for a little more outdoor fun for the day. We wanted to give the baby backpack another try, so we thought we'd go to Bradbury for a walk. It was a crowded place today! Everyone was out enjoying the sunshine and warm weather. We must have seen at least 10 other babies in baby carriers, along with lots of kids on the playground and hiking on the trails too. We meandered up the Tote Road to the summit, where we stopped and took in the view. It was crystal clear, and we could see out to the ocean. Very nice. We were out for over an hour, and Sam did really well, chatting away and playing with her rings (oh, and her hat!) It was fun to be out on the trails with her, and a great way to spend the afternoon!

On the summit

Rockin' the big-brimmed hat

Taking in the sights at the summit

2 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Sam's hat is awesome! And you'll do great for the 50K. I'll be rooting you on from the Yellow Dart. Trust your training, which has been coming along great.

Sparkplug said...

Thanks Jamie! I'll look forward to your cheering on the course :-) And I know, isn't Sam's big wide brim so great?!