Saturday, May 1, 2010

5 Does Not Equal 22

So, I did not get up and out for 22 miles this morning. Sam decided it would be fun to have another night of waking up every two hours. While Ryan was great, and did help out multiple times, I was still up and feeding her several times, which meant I did not get a lot of sleep, and when the alarm went off at 4:45, I was feeling pretty terrible. Even my eyelids hurt. So, despite Ryan's attempts to get me up and to be sure that going back to sleep was really what I wanted, I told him to shut off the alarm and went back to sleep. Briefly. Then Sam was up, wide-eyed and chatting away before 6:00. Where does her energy come from? And can I take some it so that I'm more energetic and she in turn sleeps a bit more?! Ryan tried to get her to go back to sleep by putting her in bed next to him, but it wasn't working, so I got up with her and sent him back to sleep. We had a fun time rolling around on the mat, and then by 7:00 she was tired out again, so I laid her down for a nap.

Since the house was quiet, and Ryan hadn't been planning on me being home anyway this morning, I took the opportunity to get in the car and go for a run in the Commons. The Commons has always been a favorite of mine, and I have missed going there to run this spring. With Sam, it is just so much easier to run from home, but this was a great chance of pace! The last time I ran through the Commons, there was still snow on the ground. This morning was gorgeous, and the forest floor was covered with lush greenery. Patches of rue anemones, violets, bluets, starflower and wild oats, as well as the purpley hints of the rhodora amongst the pitch pine and blueberry bushes, were abundant. I had hoped to see more ladyslippers, but most of the ones I saw were just beginning to unfurl their leaves, and none were sporting their white or pink slippers quite yet. I'll have to make sure to get back over the next few weeks so that I can keep a watch on them all!

I had a nice, happy 5 mile run, and have to say, I wasn't feeling too bad about not running the 22 miles. Although I said yesterday that it was doable, it was also a stretch. There is just only so much I can take with not sleeping, and 22 miles was just feeling too overwhelming this morning. So, while I was running along through the woods, I formulated Plan B, which I think is more reasonable in the end. I plan to get up tomorrow morning and run 12 to 15 miles (Ryan says 12, I say 15) in the morning before we meet up with Irene and Dana for a yummy brunch. I won't have to head out as early and I won't have to feel as pressed for time knowing I have to get to work. Then I will plan to run my 22 miles next Monday after running the Sea Dogs Mother's Day 5k with Kristen on Sunday! Should work out fine, and I think having three weeks between the 22-miler and Pinelands will be enough time too for a bit of a taper and some rest.

2 comments:

Scout said...

That plan sounds very sane! It's good to know when adjust.

Sparkplug said...

Thanks Valerie! I don't know if I'd say I was sane or not, but I try :-)