Friday, November 7, 2008

Misty Morning

Another shorts and t-shirt run today. A misty and overcast 58 degrees at 7am when I stepped out the door to head across the street for my run. As I turned into the high school driveway, I noticed four guys headed up the powerline road. They were just cresting the hill. I wondered who they were and where they were headed. The other thought that crossed my mind was, could I catch them?

I powered on up and along the road, but they had dropped out of sight. I turned left onto Highland Green Road, and a little ways ahead, I could see the four of them. One of them was lagging behind, so I caught him first. I asked him how he was, and he said "tired." When I caught up with the other three, I asked if they were training for something, and they said work. It crossed my mind that they must work at the Naval Air Station, and be out for a run from the cluster of base housing behind the high school. As I was just about to pass out of talking range, one of them said, "What are you running? 7:30s? 7:00s?" I replied back that I thought I was running 8:00s, but wasn't quite sure (I am not good at knowing my pace, just ask Snowman!). His response: "Well, that makes me feel bad." It was a funny exchange.

As I had notched the pace up a bit early in the run in an attempt to catch these guys, I figured I might as well keep it up. I worked to maintain the pace for the rest of the run, feeling good about the effort. When I returned home, Ronnie the cat had a field day licking all the sweat and mist off my arms and legs. Crazy cat!

No comments: