Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Big City

OK, well Portland might not be "the" big city, but it's big to me. And we've made two trips down there in three days. It's the most social we've been in weeks!

Thursday night, we met in Portland, with Snowman driving from his cross country ski areas association meeting in Vermont and me from Wiscasset, to have dinner with our friends Hairball and Snowbunny. We hiked with them for over 500 miles on the trail in 2005, and haven't had the chance to see them in a while. It was Snowbunny's 30th birthday,and we celebrated with dinner at Tandoor. It was great to see our friends, and as an extra bonus, the food at Tandoor was yummy. Excellent Indian food. After a filling dinner, we headed to Old Port Tavern to play some pool for a bit before heading home.

Luckily Friday was a planned day off from running, as the combination of a very late night, beer and Indian food seemed to wreak a bit of havoc on my stomach, and I didn't feel good all day. However, this morning I did get up and out for a mellow 3-mile run in the mist and fog. Nothing exciting, but it did round out the week.

After work, we headed down to Portland again, this time to meet up with Snowman's parents for a meal at Walter's Cafe. Irene and Dana were kind enough to treat us to a great meal out in celebration of our completion of the AT. Thanks guys! The meal was wonderful. I even tried the calamari appetizer! It was actually quite tasty. I think it's all about the fried goodness on the outside... I had a nice plate of scallops with couscous and butternut squash as my entree. And as if all that wasn't enough, I finished off the meal with a truly rich pumpkin pie cheesecake. Yum.

Tomorrow is the 1st Blackstrap Hell Trail Challenge. Should be fun, although I'm not sure tonight's meal was the best choice. Not exactly light, but oh so tasty! :-)

No comments: