Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Brrrr!

It looks like our nice reprieve from normal November temperatures is over. It was 30 degrees this morning, and the car windows were all frosted over. I headed to the Commons around 7am. The air was crisp and cold. My fingers were a bit cold at first, even with my gloves on, but as I settled into a nice pace I warmed up nicely. Saw my first Hooded Merganser of the season, along with a mess of mallards in the second pond.

To finish up my run, and make good on my promise about actually doing something for my speed (Ha! I lost it long ago. Or maybe I never even had it...), I did 5 sets of strides on the artificial turf field used by the rugby team. I had planned to run the strides on the grass, but it appears they just aerated all the playing fields so they were strewn with big round chunks of now frozen soil. That didn't seem like such a good idea, and actually, the turf was nice and springy. In between the stride lengths I did some of the bounding drills from my long-ago Bowdoin track days. I realize that doing strides isn't really as good as doing an honest to goodness speed workout, like Snowman did yesterday, but it's a start!

1 comment:

mindy said...

Cool - a hooded merganser! I just like saying that name. Sounds like you're recovering well - nice running lately!