Thursday, June 23, 2016

Midweek Miles and Fun

My parents very graciously agreed to come up and stay with us for the first two weeks of summer and hang out with Sam so that she wouldn't have to spend all summer long at camp. There are 11 weeks of summer this year! Which is awesome but at the same time, a long time to be at camp! We are lucky indeed! :) She has been having a lot of fun and they have been keeping quite busy! There has been biking and going to the farmer's market, hiking and downtown piano playing, inventions and reading, museum visits and workbook time. Sounds like a good start to summer to me :)














Mornings have been a little less chaotic as we don't have to get out of the house at a certain time, which is really nice, and I have even managed to get out early three days this week to run. Monday morning was Mt. A. Chicken and Suicide Hill repeats. I was definitely feeling a bit ragged after a weekend of not a lot of sleep and too much food, but I got it done nonetheless. 4.3 miles with 12 total repeats - 3x up and down each hill.

Tuesday morning, I had planned to meet Shannon but in the end it didn't work out, so I headed out into the Cathance for a mellow 6+ mile lollypop along the river instead. I guess it truly is summer, as I killed my first deerfly of the season while out there. Very muggy and warm too, so I guess there is no avoiding it now! I did scare up a deer along the Rapids Loop, which was a much better sighting ;)

Wednesday, I ended up staying in bed, although with two cats crawling all around my head, licking and nudging me for the better part of an hour, I'm not sure I actually got more sleep but a bit of extra rest was nice ;)

This morning dawned crisp and cool and I headed out along the powerlines to run the 7 mile Lover's Lane loop. Lots of sheep laurel blooming along the trail edge's, plus I noticed the blueberries and blackberries are now out and getting ready to ripen! As always, I love the scent of the hay-scented ferns along the way and the sound of the catbirds calling. Aside from feeling some effects of allergies/pollen with a dry throat and sniffly nose, it was a lovely morning to be out getting in some miles!

No comments: