Monday, February 1, 2016

2016 Goals: Gratitude - January

I've never been big on resolutions but I do like to set goals and having things to work toward. And while I certainly have running goals for 2016, one of the other things I am hoping to focus on this year is gratitude.

I have the bad habit of thinking woulda coulda shoulda, of looking ahead and behind, of not always appreciating what I have and how good I have it. There will never be enough money or vacation time and there will always be a house to clean, laundry to do and little daily annoyances. But I am incredibly lucky and need to do a better job of remembering that and appreciating the joy around me, whether it be from something small or big.

I saw something in Facebook around the holidays about making note of one good thing/thing that made you happy/grateful/thankful/smile every day and writing it down, with the idea of looking back at the end of 12 months and remembering how great the year truly was, and I really like the idea.  I'm not saying this means I will always be joyful or grateful, but it does mean I am going to make a conscious effort every day to note something that has made me happy/grateful/thankful. I won't be putting my notes in a jar, but the practice of gratitude and appreciation speaks to me, and is something I plan to work in this year.  My plan is to do monthly compilations, with notes typed out daily. And since this blog is essentially my journal of running, life and kiddo stuff, here is the first installment: my gratitude list for January. I must say, there was a lot of fun and happiness this past month!


1/1/16 - Grateful to be able to share a run on the icy trails at the other Brad with Ryan. We don't get to run together often, so it's always nice when we get the chance! Great way to kick off the new year.

1/2/16 - Thankful to spend time with family and to see these two cuties laughing and playing together. 


1/3/16 - Birds chirping, pretty marsh, pretty sky. Enjoyed the peace and solitude out on my run this morning. 

1/4/15 - This. 


1/5/16 - Indoor recess for two days meant a bit of fresh air was needed, so Sam and I went for a headlamp walk around the block tonight after I picked her up at after school care. She held my hand the whole way.

1/6/16 - Grateful to have a job with flexibility enough to leave at 3:00 on a Wednesday to take Sam to swim lessons.

1/7/16 - Headed out at 6:00 am for a run on a crisp, clear morning. Treated to the incredible sight of the crescent moon flanked by the brightly shining Venus and Mars. Gorgeous.

1/8/16 - Green hills, blue electric sky.


1/9/16 - Every day is better if it involves a Frosty's donut and a cup of coffee. Enough said. Plus 7 hours of solid sleep last night, which is huge for me. 

1/10/16 - Glad to have a good friend to meet up with on a dreary, rainy, misty, foggy Sunday morning to hold me accountable to my 12 miles on a day it would have been easier to stay inside. Thanks, Amy! 

1/11/16 - More late afternoon light means time for weekday outdoor adventures! Checked out the Labrynth in the Woods with Sam today after her dentist appointment. Fun in the woods is always good. 


1/12/16 - Snow falling in the darkness. As Sam says, "it is so beautiful."

1/13/16 - Thankful to be able to access plowed, quiet streets for an early morning run after a snowfall.

1/14/16 - Oh happy day! Today, I finally finished entering the last of the 200+ end of the year donations and printing out the corresponding thank you letters that I've been working on at work. Only took two weeks!! Hurray. 

1/15/16 - Lovely, snowy daylight run along the Cathance. River was roaring!


1/16/16 - Excited Sam was so excited by her new skis that we just had to get out to try them out after today's storm :)


1/17/16 - Peaceful, solitary, beautiful, tough, frosty snowshoe run at the Brad this morning followed up with an afternoon snowshoe hike with Sam out in the Cathance. Always good to get out and play in the snow :)



1/18/16 - A vacation day spent with friends is always fun! Spent many hours hanging out with Will and Amy. The kids played really well together, and Amy and I trekked around the yard in our snowshoes ;)



1/19/16 - On cold, windy days like today, I am incredibly thankful that I can crank up my heat without wondering if I have enough fuel left in the tank. Many of the clients we work with do not have that luxury, and in these cold months I am always reminded of how lucky I am to have a warm, cozy home.

1/20/16 - Beautiful pre-dawn snowshoe run this morning down to the river and back. Thankful I hauled myself out of bed and out the door :)


1/21/16 - Tonight, while trying to get Sam ready to sleep, she got the hiccups. So after the lights were turned out and I sang her a few songs, I thought I'd yell a big silly "Boo" to try and startle the hiccups away. Of course, all that happened was she said, "Was that a big sneeze?" and then Ryan came running in from the bathroom wondering what the hell had just happened, and Sam said, "It wasn't me! It was Mommy!" and the two of us started laughing hysterically. Well, so much for getting calm before bedtime but it's always good to get in a big belly laugh for the day ;)

1/22/16 - Great 10 miles on the snowmobile trails at the Brad with Maureen today. Felt strong and happy, which is how all runs should be :)

1/23/16 - Love being cuddled up on the couch with a tired girl, reading books to her before bedtime. 

1/24/16 - Always good to spend the morning outside in the sun and snow with friends! TMR snowshoe race season kick-off today, and if you're not racing, volunteering is a fun alternative :) 

1/25/16 - Still light in the sky at 5:00 pm! 

1/26/16 - Beautiful sky and packed singletrack on this morning's run! 


1/27/16 - Love getting into bed and having Gigi jump up and give me nose kisses before settling in by my side, purring contentedly.

1/28/16 - "Easy peasy," said Sam tonight as she finished up her math homework. So glad that she loves school, enjoys doing her work and that homework is not a struggle to get through every night!

1/29/16 - Grateful to be able to spend a few hours a month volunteering in Sam's classroom. So neat to be able to get a glimpse into her day, get to know her peers and teacher, and watch her learn.

1/30/16 - Just plain enjoyed the whole day, complete with a happy kid, a good afternoon run down to the river and good energy all around.

1/31/16 - An early morning trail run with a good friend, always a great way to start a day!




No comments: