Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Spring

Didn't have the chance to run with Shannon yesterday as her two littlest were sick, so instead I headed out under overcast skies a little after 6:00 am to run the cart paths. As I was running the first mile through the woods to access the paths, I decided I'd try to run "fast" this morning. Ha. Apparently all the prepping I've done the past few years for 50s, and the running I've done this year, have made me pretty durable, but it has not helped my speed. I am anything but fast! But it felt good to work a bit, and at least I managed to get in miles 2-6 at 8:15 to 8:30 pace ;)

Last night, there wasn't much sleep in the house. I am notorious for my interrupted sleep, but Ryan usually sleeps like a rock. But last night, every time I woke up, he was awake too, and Sam kept screaming out in the night. Not sure what she was dreaming about but it certainly didn't seem like it was peaceful!

Needless to say I didn't rise quickly when the alarm went off at 4:30, finally rolling out of bed a little before 5:00 am. But despite feeling tired, I am glad I did get up and out. It was a beautiful morning. As I ran along, breathing in the sweet-smelling spring air, watching the mist rise from the river, listening to the birds chirp, and enjoying the wildflowers blooming on the forest floor, I felt incredibly lucky. Lucky to have the ability, the drive, the support, the time and the desire to be able to get up and get in 8 early morning miles on this trail system right across the street. Life may not be perfect, and sure, we all filter what we choose to portray, but there is an incredible beauty to be seen on a morning like this and there is much to be thankful for. Now if I can just hold onto that feeling for the rest of the day ;)

The Heath, 5:55 am

Mist rising. The Cathance.

Neon green moss along the river's edge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. We think so much alike :)

Sparkplug said...

Thanks Willow :) Wish you guys lived closer so we could hang out and run together!