Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Sink, Squish, Slide

I didn't run Monday or Tuesday because the combination of sick kiddo waking up coughing in the middle of the night multiple time both nights, therefore me not sleeping, plus time change, plus tired and slightly cranky legs just meant it wasn't in the cards. But this morning, it needed to get done! ;) It was a bit disheartening to have to wear a headlamp for the whole run when a week ago I didn't need one at all, but I guess the exchange for having it be light until much later in the evening is worth it. And I know the light will come back into my morning runs eventually.

But wow, the trail conditions have certainly changed the past few days with the warm weather we've had. I headed out into the foggy 37 degree morning and knew things would be soft, but never anticipated that I wouldn't even be able to take two steps on the trail without postholing! Yikes. I tried a few different "paths" but it was a no-go, so with regret, I circled back and took the Connector down to Highland Green Road instead. The pavement was completely clear so it was fairly quick running, but when I reached the back dirt road it was another story. No longer frozen, the road was a squishy, sloppy muddy mess. Ah, spring :)



I had a bit of trouble seeing exactly what I was landing on due to the fog and darkness so it wasn't quick back there, but it was fun to slide around in the mud for a bit :) Then it was back up the Connector and around the neighborhood to round the run out to 6 miles.

The lower right leg is feeling particularly cranky right now. I really shouldn't have waited so long in between Dr. Jamie appointments, I guess, but hopefully some good stretching and rolling will sort things out.

Not sure what the rest of the week will bring in terms of running. It will probably depend a lot on conditions. Nothing like a 50 degree day to get me thinking about running on dirt trails in the woods, but there is a lot of snow left out there to melt before that happens!

No comments: