Sunday, November 16, 2014

Afternoon Wander

Last weekend's 20 felt so effortless. It just flowed. Today's 20, well, let's just say there was a lot less flow. Ryan headed to Portland this morning for Dave and Jes's Back Cove 6 Hour Run and Food Drive, and since Sam nicely decided to sleep in after waking up flailing about in her bed at 12:45 am, 3:00 am, 3:30 am and 4:00 am, I was happy for a few extra quiet moments with a big cup of coffee! No, I cannot sleep in these days, even on mornings that I've essentially only slept from 9:30 pm to 12:45 am and 4:00 am until 6:30 am. Sigh. So sad.

We had a lovely morning hanging out, doing some painting and crafting and a few chores done around the house, and when Ryan got home a little after 11:00, I was suited up and ready to head out for my run. It was a bit warmer than yesterday but the sky was grey and it was just cold and windy enough to feel like a classic November day. There is a certain subtlety to this time of year that I really do try to appreciate, but some days it is harder than others. I set out to run a Snowplug Loop. There are still vestiges of snow left in the woods, and the ground is beginning to show hoar frost. The river was flowing nicely and there were a few others out enjoying the trails. Once back at the school, I did have the thought that it would be so nice to head home, but instead headed up the Snowplug hill then did a loop on the cart paths.

Then it was back up the hill, where once again I suppressed the desire to call it a day, past the quarry, onto the Heath Trail and into the Cathance proper. The top of the Snowplug hill was 11 miles, so I figured heading out to Head of Tides would get me the miles I needed without too much wandering or thinking. As I turned up from the river, I came across a nice gentleman doing some trail sign placement and I stopped to thank him for his work and to chat with him for a few minutes. He probably would have talked all day, but as I still had some miles to get in, I took off soon after, having enjoyed the short break. My legs were beginning to feel the miles and little sleep, and although I honestly do enjoy my solo runs, sometimes I just get sick of it just being me and my head ;)

Out on the Ravine Trail, I heard a number of shots off in the direction I was planning to run, and even though it was Sunday, I was wearing orange and I should have been safe in the woods, I decided not to chance it. So, I looped around and headed back to wander. They are rerouting several of the Cathance trails, so I took one of the new routes, enjoying the change of scenery but wishing the trails were a bit more 'solid.' With all the leaves down, there was a lot of ankle twisting and slow running occurring. Back down along the river, along the Heath, and then the final two miles on the back dirt roads and power lines. I was happy to get in the miles but I definitely had to work at it today!

After a quick shower, I hung out with Sam, Ryan and John watching the football game, until Sam got a bit too rambuncious, having been inside all day, and I suggested she go out and run some sprints up and down the sidewalk. Of course, she didn't want to run them herself so I headed out with her. After all, nothing says recovery like sprints and drills up and down the sidewalk with an overly energetic 5-year old! ;)

No comments: