Thursday, July 31, 2014

Painfully Slow Hills

Foggy morning, 5:45 am. I run across the street to do my hill workout. As I climb up Mt. A., before the workout even officially starts, I'm having trouble breathing in the heavy, muggy, misty air. The rocks are slick on the way down as I start the first loop. I feel like I am moving in slow motion. I bumble along, continuing my loops, willing myself up and down the hill, 8 times up and around. And as I run I wonder. I like to think of myself as strong on the hills. I have fond memories of climbing the 4000 footers with Ryan way back when, cruising the uphills with ease, always getting to the top first. Oh that was fun. I earned my trail name that way too, easily summiting the Georgia hills ahead of some fellow thru-hikers. But it sure feels like I am struggling out here these days on this damn little 75 foot hill. Shouldn't I be able to bound to the top, light-footed and fancy free? Is my climbing ability gone? Have all my days of simply running, with no real plan, no speed work, no hill work, relegated me to a rather mediocre plodding? Am I just getting old? Sigh. I'd like to run this hill into the ground, but instead it seems to be grinding me down. Guess it just means I'll have to come out again next week to see who will win the next round...

5 comments:

Michael said...

Hills ALWAYS suck, Danielle. I think you're remembering how great you felt "after" a hill workout not "during" a hill workout. Nobody feels great then. ;)

unstrung said...

Every step you take is in the right direction. It really is okay to be slow.


Sparkplug said...

I think it was the fact that I felt like I was putting in such effort, and all that came out was something that seemed to so much resemble a slog, that made me feel so dreary ;) Ah well. Tomorrow is another day!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you're not talking about me? I feel like I used to be strong on hills, too. Definitely not anymore!
Of course right now I'd be thrilled if I could run at all. Damn knee!! Spending Saturday morning NOT running is very depressing :(

Sparkplug said...

Feel better, Willow! Yes, even seemingly sucking on the hills is better than not running, so I guess I can't complain too much :) Hope you get out running again soon!