Saturday, July 12, 2014

Slow Afternoon Run in the Cathance

This morning while Ryan was at the Brad marking the Scuffle course and getting his run in, Sam and I headed to Portland to hang out with Kristen, Morgan and Rob for one last time before they set off to Rob's new station in Staten Island, NY. We have been very lucky the past 5 years to have them here in Maine so close to us, and it has been really fun watching Sam grow up with Morgan. She sure does love her cousin, and we will miss them all for sure.

I had had grand plans to get up early and be running by 5:30 am, so that I could get in my run before Ryan left for course marking, but considering I first woke up at 5:30, that means I probably missed the alarm go off about 8 times! Guess that wasn't happening! So, around 3:00 pm, I finally headed out for my run. Although the run was slow, my legs felt pretty good, and I'd honestly say I felt stronger than during yesterday's run. The thing that slowed me down the most was all the overgrown portions of the trails. Wow, things have grown even more since I was out there last Sunday! I had to pick my way through, and although the compression calf sleeves helped, I still came home covered in grass-induced hives on all unprotected portions of my legs. Guess I'm going to have to give these trails a rest for a while. It was warm, but nice and shaded in the woods, and fairly cool down by the river. I ran around the Vernal Pool on the return, and was treated to a few ripe raspberries. Yum! Also saw some Horned Bladderwort in the bog - what a name, eh? - which I've never seen before. Very neat. Got in 8 miles to finish off the week at 30.6 miles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Horned Bladderwort is definitely prettier than the name implies :)Not what I was expecting. Do you just happen to know the name of every flower? Do you know of a good plant identification website?

Sparkplug said...

Ha ha. Nope, I definitely don't know them all! But we do have a good wildflower book at home, although with a New England book that has plants, flowers, birds, etc., so I remember things and come home and look them up! I do know a lot of the "regular" flowers we see around here though. Keeps me occupied during my runs looking for them and remembering them for the blog :-)