Thursday, August 8, 2013

Rainy

Sam decided 5:30 am was a good time to fall out of bed this morning, so I got out a bit later than planned. Somehow she had shifted so much in her sleep that her head was where her feet should be on the bed, well, except that she was on the floor. I guess I know whose sleep habits she's gotten! Sleep has been restless for me lately. Can't figure out why. I've even been trying to stay off the computer at night, and sitting on the couch to read a chapter or two of Scott Jurek's "Eat and Run" before going up to sleep in an attempt to relax. Doesn't seem to be working though. Guess I'm not so good at relaxing. Ryan can no doubt confirm...

In any event, headed out under overcast skies as drops began to fall. There was a thin line of pink along the horizon as I crested the powerline hill but otherwise, fairly monochromatic out there this morning in the sky above. Ran the Highland Green loop. I feel like I've been doing a lot of slow running lately, which is certainly applicable given that I'm training for a 50 miler (speaking of which, Ultrasignup shows my "target time" as 8:44?!), but decided I would at least try to go at a decent pace on the loop. Since it's mostly road/dirt, that certainly helps. Managed to average 8:17 pace, ha :-)

As an aside, I bought Sam a new bike last night. She's been riding a cute, but heavy, little tricycle handed down to her from Morgan. She's finally gotten better about steering it and moving around on it, but we thought she might have an easier time with a "big girl bike." She was extremely excited about the bike, and Ryan was a great father and put it together the second he walked in the door last night. However, she does not seem to have enough power to push the pedals, nor understand the concept of keeping her legs circling around to keep moving forward? Again, she certainly is my kid. Never had much coordination for that sort of thing. Poor kid. Hoping she will figure it out soon. But at least the bike has sparkly tassles - that makes her happy :-)

No comments: