Thursday, August 29, 2013

Pre-Dawn Run

5:30 am. Pitch black.

I wait a few minutes.

5:37 am. Just enough light that I leave my headlamp at home and head out into the murky darkness, where I bumble along the powerlines in the low light. The air is heavy. The sweet scent of ferns fills my nose past Highland Green Road. It's still dark as I head down the hill past Rt. 24 at 2 miles, and it's evident there's to be no sunrise today with the heavy cloud cover.

I scared up a little mouse (white footed?) on the return. It jumps and scampers right into a rock with a little squeak, then heads off into the grass at the edge of the trail. Funny little thing.

Despite the mugginess, fall is definitely on its way. We're losing daylight fast.

Nice 6 miles to start the day.

2 comments:

Nitsirk said...

I know it! I am finally ready to start running before work again and it is dark. It isn't even all that light when I finish. At least it isn't cold.....yet :)

Sparkplug said...

Yes, assuming I'll be out with a headlamp next week! And wondering how late fall/winter early morning running will go. Always tougher as it gets colder and darker. Glad you're back out there!