Saturday, September 29, 2012

Running, Biking and Swimming

Don't worry, I'm not taking up triathlon :-) The running is all me, but the biking and swimming are all Sam. If I had been able to convince her to come out the door for a little cool down loop after my run, I could say she was in triathlon training but she took one look at my sweaty self after my run and wanted nothing to do with running with me :-) Ha!

Thankfully, Sam slept much better last night, and even slept in a bit too, so we all woke up feeling more rested. Since today is the last day in my "week," it was MP run day whether I liked it or not! It was a bit overcast but very humid as I headed out around 8:00 am. I had mapped out a route the other night just so that I wouldn't have to think about where I was going to be going along with keeping a certain pace while running. I ran a one mile warm-up out to Paddlewheel, and then set out to run the next 5 miles at 8:00 pace.

As I headed down the main drag, two guys passed by me in a golf cart. I smiled and said hello, to which one guy replied, nice pace! Well, who doesn't like to hear a compliment like that? :-) The clubhouse and the practice area were hopping - I guess Saturday morning is the time to play golf! I ran right on past, out towards The Bluffs, the outer edge of the development. It was quiet out there, with most of the lots still undeveloped. I looped back around and then turned at the clubhouse to head out towards the River Lodge. I had a few moments during mile #3 and early on in #4 where the pace felt relatively effortless, but reality set back in around mile 4.5 of the 5 MP miles, and it definitely felt like work. I was happy to hit the miles in 7:54; 8:00; 7:49; 7:46 and 7:52, but was perhaps even happier when my watch beeped to indicate I was through with that last mile. Ha!

I ran a mellow mile back to the house, getting in a total of 7 miles to bring the week's mileage up to 43. Highest I've hit in a while. I can feel that I haven't been in my regular routine of rolling, and that I have done a lot of road miles this week, but despite my legs and hips being a bit stiff, I'll call this week a good one.

When I got home, we got out Morgan's old trike, and let Sam have a whirl on it. Her legs still aren't quite long enough to give her enough power to push the pedals very effectively, but hopefully by the spring, she'll have grown enough so that she can use it. Regardless, she had fun getting pushed around and taking a few spins out on the porch. It kept her entertained for much longer than we would have expected!

On the bike!

We followed up the bike riding with a trip to the pool. Sam wanted to get right in and swim. There was no stopping her! She did great with the water wings on, really kicking and propelling herself around the pool. It was so cute to see how proud she was of herself! And she wanted no help! She was swimming on her own, gosh darn it :-)

Happy swimmer!

Swimming with Mama

I love the pool!

Sammy swimming!






No comments: