Friday, September 21, 2012

Hill Repeats, Take 2

Sam is yet again going through a period of many wake-ups at night. I wish I could figure out why she felt compelled to wake up so many times in the early morning hours. Perhaps she's having a growth spurt? Or trying to process a lot of new information? Or maybe she's just a bad sleeper. Somehow I just think it is the latter. Ah well. In any event, despite little sleep, I was feeling better than last time about heading out for hill repeats. I had actually skipped one of my planned hill repeat days a few weeks ago, the week I ran 16 miles to Wolfe's Neck, so I knew I had to get out and run them this week, there was just no way around it :-)

It was cool - only 42 degrees again! - and the sky was grey. I headed out a little before 7am and made my way to the top of Mt. A. I ran one loop down the front of the hill, one loop down the back of the hill and then on the third time, decided to take the trail to the top instead of the pavement. It was a nice change. I repeated the sequence and then did one additional front and back loop for a total of 8 repeats. I didn't time the "laps" so I don't know how my loops this time around compared to last time, but overall I felt better. I was still working each time on the uphill, but I didn't have the same discouraged feeling that I did last time I was running this workout. The overall time for the 5 miles ended up actually being slower than in August, maybe because I ran one additional loop instead of taking the long and easy way back around like last time?, but since I felt better mentally and physically and managed to run 1 more loop, I am considering it a moderate success and a step in the right direction.

One more short run here in Maine tomorrow morning, and then we head south! I'm hoping to take advantage of the available built-in babysitting while we're at my parents, and plan to get in some good mileage next week. A lot of it will likely be on roads, and I can pretty much guarantee it will all be flat, but as they say (at least in Sam's daycare), you get what you get and you don't throw a fit! :-)

1 comment:

pathfinder said...

thowing at fit is half the fun