Friday, April 22, 2011

Sun Rising

I mentioned to Ryan last night that I was thinking about starting to get up and get out for my runs at 5:45am. Sam typically wakes up sometime around 5:00 to 5:30am, but will go back to sleep for another hour to 1 1/2 hours. I have been using this time to either sleep or get up and go downstairs and relax a bit with a cup of coffee and my computer. This is all well and good, and it's nice to have some quiet time, but the reality is that my days are busy and I am constantly feeling like I don't have enough time to get it all done. Of course, let's face it, there isn't enough time to get it all done, but I can at least try! Plus, once summer rolls around, I will have to be at work earlier, and I won't have the time to run after dropping Sam off at daycare. That is a luxury, for sure! So, I figured I should get used to getting up and out early at least a few days a week. I'm pretty sure Ryan just shook his head, and figured that this morning, I'd be doing my same old routine, and would not be out the door to run at 5:45am. Well, wasn't he surprised when I whispered in his ear, right at 5:45am no less, that I was headed out for 6 miles on the cart paths :-)

It was a beautiful morning. Crisp and clear, and quiet. As I ran up the Mt. Ararat hill, I saw the orange orb that is the sun rising up along the horizon. And as I ran along the packed gravel cart paths on the golf course, the sun rose up above the trees, its light kissing the frosted grass on the greens. I meandered and twisted and turned, and all the while, the sun rose on my left, and the waning moon, still high in the sky, looked down at me on the right. A woodpecker tapped away at a tree trunk, the phoebes called to each other from reeds along the marsh, and the robins hopped about on the greens in search of breakfast. I was admittedly feeling a bit tired from being up and out so early, but otherwise, I felt great and had a very peaceful run. What a nice way to start the day! Even better was that I had the chance to hop in the shower and get cleaned up before Sam woke up for the day.

No comments: