Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cart Path Run

When I ran the Highland Green loop on Monday, it got me to thinking that the golf course cart paths should be clear of snow, and would make for a nice run today. The course is actually now open for play, but I knew I could likely get in a run before anyone was out there. Besides, on a morning like today (46 degrees, dreary, windy and damp), who in their right mind would be out playing golf anyway?! I got a bit of a late start, as Sam slept in and then we played for a bit before I took her to daycare, but I was running by 8:45. I figured this gave me just enough time to squeeze in 5 or 6 miles before I had to rush to shower and change and head into work. Perfect.

I ran the Mt. Ararat trails over to Mountain Road, and then hit the cart paths. The Mt. Ararat trails were pretty wet, and there was still some good sections of snow, but if we get a few more warm, sunny days, those should be gone soon. The cart path was pretty wet too, but since it's packed gravel and dirt, and it was snow-free, it made for some great running. The cart path measured almost exactly 3.25 miles, so it certainly doesn't take the most direct route! The path meanders and dips and turns, running by a few neat quarry pools and a number of babbling brooks through the woods, as it weaves through the development. There were a few robins out digging for worms, and a woodpecker tapping away at a dead tree, but otherwise, there wasn't much life out there. The woods are still drab and brown, and even the marshy areas aren't yet showing any signs of spring. Soon, though, soon! Still, I enjoyed the change of scenery, and was happy to get in 6 miles out there - and before the rain started too! That certainly was good timing :-)

No comments: