Sunday, April 10, 2011

Messy

Sam's word of the day is "mess." {Actually, today she has two new words, but the other is "elbow," which isn't really pertinent in this tale. :-)} And indeed, today's run was a bit messy. I headed out once Sam went down for her nap, right at 12:00. It's a beautiful spring day, bright and sunny and 60. Hurray! It's also a bit windy out there, but what else is new? Seems to be windy all the time, these days. My plan was to run our winter 7-mile snowmobile trail/dump loop, see how I felt, and add on if I had more energy. Turns out I didn't. The trails were tough going. There were sinkholes in the mud, the sand, the snow, and there were stretches of slushy snow and ice that could have used screw shoes. I slipped and slip, and postholed and sunk and lurched, and in general used up a lot of energy just trying to keep upright, and drag around my wet, mud-laden shoes :-) (Valerie and Mindy, I can't believe you ran 24 and 14 miles, respectively, on the trails yesterday. My 7 about did me in. You two are awesome!) I ended up just running the 7 mile loop, and was happy to look down at the Garmin at the end and realize I had (just barely) finished at under 10:00 pace. I had hoped to have more "umph" in my step and get in some more miles, but ah well. I can't complain, as my sick and injured, and increasingly cranky, husband, would kill to be out running on a day like today, and is instead stuck inside on the couch. So, I will be happy with my miles and my hour+ on the trails. Here's to more melting and more drying on the trails soon!!

2 comments:

Scout said...

You give us too much credit. We mixed the trails with road to give us all the miles. It was interesting running, though!

While, I'm commenting, I loved the 18 month update. Hope to see Sam soon to see all the progress for myself : )

I hope Ryan's plague resolves quickly; Cracked ribs are bad enough.

Sparkplug said...

Well, I feel a bit better having read that you mostly were on the dirt roads, but regardless, you guys are still awesome :-)

Hope to see you soon!