Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mixed Bag

Yesterday was a day off. We all woke up a bit late, so I took Sam into daycare, and got home with just enough time to shower and hop in the car to accompany Ryan to the hospital for another chest x-ray and a visit to the pulmonologist's office. The good news is that the x-ray showed that there was no expansion of the pneumothorax, meaning the doctor felt that this was a "no brainer," so to speak and should heal up on its own without any chest tube needed, etc. Hurray! We do have to go back for another follow-up x-ray and visit later this week/early next, just to ensure that things are indeed healing up and haven't taken a turn for the worse. But the doctor was pretty chill about the whole thing, and really didn't think Ryan had much to worry about. In fact, he felt the air pocket should dissipate/reabsorb within a week or so, which is great. Now, the broken ribs and rib pain are a whole other story, but I know we were both relieved to hear that the lung wasn't really an issue at this point!

After dropping Ryan back off at home, I headed up to work for the afternoon, so there was just no time to run. But that's OK. I'm still in recovery mode from the 50k, so I don't need to be doing high mileage this week anyway. But today, I didn't want to waste a bright and beautiful morning, so I headed out on the powerlines around 8:30, after dropping Sam off at daycare and running a few errands. I decided to run straight out on the powerlines to check out the conditions. There is a lot of bare ground out there, but overall, the conditions were a mixed bag. Soft sand, frozen sand, soft mud, mud mixed with hoar frost, mud pocked with sinkholes, snow, ice and a few puddles. Still, it was good to see things melting, and nice to know I could get in a good, messy trail run from home. I didn't have the time to explore some of the side trails and the winter/summer loops off the main powerlines, so I just turned around once my Garmin read 2.5 miles. The way back was straight into the wind - the whole way - and I could definitely tell I didn't quite have the regular 'umph' back in my legs, so it was a bit of a slow go on the return trip, but I came in the door with muddy shoes and tights and that means it was a fun run, for sure! :-)

No comments: