Monday, April 4, 2011

Not What We Had Planned

Last night, we went over to Nate and Shannon's for dinner. The plan was to celebrate Ryan's win at the Gator Trail, catch up and let the kids play together. It sounded like such a great idea! Unfortunately, only about 15 minutes after we arrived, Ryan picked up Finley and took a few steps with him in his arms across the living room, probably headed to give him a piggy back or a twirl him around in his arms. The next thing we knew, both Ryan and Finley had hit the floor. Finley was fine, and bounced right back up, shocked more than hurt, I think. Ryan, however, didn't move for quite a while, clutching his back. We ended up ending the evening almost immediately. Ryan was just in too much pain, and wanted nothing else but to come home and sit in one spot on the couch with an ice pack.

He decided on the ride home not to go to the ER, thinking he had probably cracked or bruised a rib, about which nothing could really be done. He seemed OK through the rest of the evening, but when he went to get into bed, it was another story. It became quickly evident that something was indeed wrong, and he agreed that he did need to go get himself checked out. Unfortunately, at this point, it was already 10am, Sam was asleep, and so, he ended up driving himself to the hospital. I was really nervous about this, but it didn't seem we had too much choice. (Valerie, we thought of calling you, but Ryan decided he just really needed to get there now!) I laid awake in bed, waiting for his text that he had arrived. When it did, the thumping of my heart in my chest slowed down, and I was able to relax a bit. Both kitties snuggled up against me, as if they knew I needed some support. I didn't think I'd fall asleep, but I guess I did, as I awoke to Ryan coming home at around 1:30am. Turns out, he has two broken ribs and a punctured lung. The puncture is small, so it appears it will heal up on his own, but still darn scary! Luckily he is young and healthy, and the prescribed percocet is helping to dull the pain, and overall, he is doing remarkably well.

This is certainly not what we had expected when we went out last night to have a nice dinner with our friends! But accidents happen, and this was just that. A freak thing. A slip and a hard fall in socks on a hardwood floor. A chance landing, just so, at a weird angle. And so, with that, Ryan is on the DL. No lifting. No picking up Sam. No physical exertion. No running. Just resting and healing. But heal he will. And hopefully he'll be back out running in no time!

~

Speaking of running, after dropping Sam off at daycare and then taking Ryan back to the hospital this morning for another chest x-ray,  I headed out for a short run. I ran 3.5 miles, wandering through the Mt. Ararat and Highland Green roads and trails. There is still a fair amount of snow out in the woods. It was dreary and damp out, and I felt tired. But it was good to be out running. I am lucky, and I can't forget that. To be able to move, to run, to sweat. So run I will.

5 comments:

middle.professor said...

Ugggh. That sucks. But it's certainly good to hear that it's nothing too serious. How long is the recovery on the pneumothorax? Downtime between major events is good so he'll come out of this stronger than ever.

Jamie Anderson said...

I had no idea he was related to Ellsbury.

Scout said...

You know I'll always gladly come at any time. Good you had your kitties for comfort, though : ) Poor Ryan.

Sparkplug said...

Jeff, hopefully things will heal up in a month, assuming the puncture doesn't enlarge over the next few days. It's a lot of downtime, but as you say, it's good timing between big events, and hopefully he'll be back at it soon enough!

Jamie - Ha! You're funny!

And Valerie, thanks! Yes, I was very glad for Ronnie and Gigi!!

pathfinder said...

Elsbury did hit a homerun last week and Ryan hit a running homerun with his fantastic win......so there is more than one similarity