Monday, January 17, 2011

Unexpected Trail Run

With the temperatures finally creeping into the double digits and Sam asleep for her nap, I snuck out of the house around 11:30 am for a run. I told Ryan I was planning to do the 5-mile Highland Green loop, and was going to try running over on the powerlines instead of down the Connector. If the trails were really soft, it would only be about a 1/2 mile of running on the snow before I hit the roads again. Despite the cold, it was a really nice afternoon. Bright and sunny, with the wind at my back. To my surprise, there seemed to have been a good bit of snowmobile traffic on the powerline trails, and things were packed rather nicely. Even without my screw shoes, the grip from my 282s was pretty good. When I got to Highland Green Road, I couldn't bear to turn onto the sidewalk. Enough road running, already! I crossed the street instead, and continued down the hill on the snowmobile trail. Traction was good, I wasn't sinking in a lot, and there was no ice. The snow was crunching underfoot and I was having a grand old time. I vaguely recalled that 2.5 miles was at the crossing of Lover's Lane, and it seemed about right from the time on my watch (I'd left the Garmin at home thinking I was doing a tried-and-true road run). The way back was a bit slower, as I was running into the wind, and the sun was warming things up ever so slightly, but it was still a really nice run. I finished up in 47:00 and was very happy to have gotten in an unexpected trail run!

Of course, when I told Ryan what I had done, he decided he would run the snowmobile trails too. He didn't find the trail quite as firm as I did, unfortunately, being slightly heavier than me, but hey, I had only said *I* thought it was nice and runnable! :-) Oops.

---

Nate and Shannon came over for dinner tonight, and the kids had fun playing together while the adults were chatting. Sam was having lots of fun hugging Charlotte, although her hugs might have been more like head locks! :-) Charlotte was a trooper though! Here is Sam trying to envelop Charlotte in another embrace.


And here is Sam, from earlier this morning, rocking one of my ski hats. So cute!

No comments: