Saturday, January 15, 2011

No Waxwings Today

This morning was a "juggle" morning. Get a run in. Let Ryan get his medium-long run in. Get ready for work, eat breakfast and hang with Sam. Get to work on time :-) I had plans to get up at 5:30, but when the alarm went off, Ryan hit snooze and both of us went back to sleep until 6:00 when Sam woke up. I fed her and got her back to sleep, then quickly dressed and was out the door by 6:30. The thermometer read 3.3 degrees. Luckily it wasn't windy, or it would have been pretty brutal out there. As it was, it was pretty darn cold! I had on all my reflective gear - Nathan vest, snap bands on my ankles and a red LED blinking light on my back, along with my headlamp - although in the end, I probably didn't need any of it - and my Sugio hoodie pulled up over my hat, along with my warm Craft jacket and warmest running gloves and pants. I never really did warm up, and when I finished the run, my legs were bright red! Guess I could have used another layer...

As I ran down the high school road, a brilliant orange filled the horizon line, seeping into the deep blue above. With the sky lightening, there was more than enough light to run without a headlamp. For the sake of safety, simplicity and time, I decided to just do 3 loops on the high school road as I had done on Thursday. What a difference a few days make! The roads were totally clear of snow and ice. No waxwings sung in the trees, and I didn't see any roosting either. I guess they've migrated away to the next feeding ground. The funny thing is that my time for the 4.5 miles was almost exactly the same as on Thursday. Interesting. I guess changing from running in screw shoes through the packed snow and slush to running extra early on a super cold  morning evened things out.

I got home in time to get a quick shower in before Ryan headed out for his 11 mile run. Sam and I ate breakfast and played while he was gone, and he got back with enough time to get himself showered up before I headed out the door for work. I'd say we juggled well this morning :-)

No comments: