Sunday, January 16, 2011

First Ski of the Season!

Yes, it's January 16, and today was the first day I've been out on my skis this winter. All you skiers out there can shake your heads, but oh well. But for a first day out on the snow, it certainly was a good day for it :-) Sam and I hung out in the morning while Ryan headed over to Bradbury to meet up with some of the TMRs to run on the snowshoe courses. Then, after a quick lunch, we headed over to Pinelands for an afternoon ski. It was a really nice day - bright and sunny, with a little breeze, and temps in the upper 20s. There was plenty of snow, and the trails were all nicely groomed. Perfect. We suited Sam up in her LLBean jacket (it's the 6-12 month size and it's still big on her!), hand-me-down snowpants and too-big hand-me-down boots from Morgan. She looked adorable!


Ryan was the designated "Sam carrier" today. The Kelty backpack is great, but although it's supposedly one size fits all, it's just too big for me. Or I'm too small for it. Either way, I can't wear it comfortably. And honestly, even if I could, I don't think I'd be comfortable skiing with Sam on my back. I'm just not that good of a skier! Ryan said even he was having trouble with the shift in balance with an extra 25 pounds hanging off his back. The backpack was also weighing him down and making it a bit of a slow go. I, on the other hand, was having the opposite problem, and was having trouble getting the pockets of my cute little Orbiters to stick. I guess weighing less will have that effect. But regardless, after 1km or so, we got into a groove and had a great time out on the trails!


Sam loved it too :-) She was smiling and chattering the whole way.



We ended up being out for just under an hour. It was a mellow ski for me, as I wasn't the one carrying the pack, and lots of fun to be out on the trails with Ryan and Sam! We hit the Market afterwards for a quick snack and then headed home to watch the Pats game.

No comments: