Thursday, January 6, 2011

Midweek Five

I hit the roads this morning for 5 miles on the Highland Green loop. It was chilly, but nice and sunny, with no breeze. I opted to go out on the Connector, but on the return, I decided to chance the powerlines. It's only a short 1/2 mile stretch between the high school road and the Highland Green road, so it couldn't be that bad. And lo and behold, the trail was a perfect running surface. Solid and packed by a few snowmobiles with great grip. I wasn't wearing my screw shoes but I really didn't need them. If the rest of the lines were in the same shape, it would have been a great run. Who knows if that was a case, but as it was, what I did run was a nice little stretch and a good chance of pace from both the runs and the icy unevenness of the trails in the Commons.

Taking three days off at the beginning of the week to get rid of this cold was worth it, as I am feeling 99% over it, but it means this week hasn't quite gone as planned running-wise. Oh well. I suppose I have to factor in the unexpected, especially these days. Still, I'm hoping to end the week with a bang, getting in some good miles at the GAC Fat Ass on Saturday. The weather and trail conditions might make things interesting, but my plan is to get in 3 6-mile loops. We'll see how it goes, but it should be fun!

No comments: