Sunday, January 23, 2011

No Zip

Today was the debut race of the Bradbury Mountain Snowshoe Series that Ryan has been working on. It was cold and bright this morning when Ryan left the house, and there is certainly lots of snow on the ground. Perfect conditions for a snowshoe race! However, it was a bit too cold for Sam and I to go hang out at Bradbury all morning-long, so we stayed home and had a Mommy/Sam day instead. We did have a good day but I am bummed to have missed out on the fun of the race - sounds like everyone had a blast! Great job Ryan, Ian and all the volunteers and sponsors who made it all come together. And great job to all the Trail Monsters who braved the weather for some great racing too! I hope I'll have a chance to get out and race at least one of the races.

After Ryan got home and got himself something to eat, I headed out for a run around 3:30. The temps had started to drop, and the wind had picked up. I headed across the street and ran on the powerlines to the Highland Green road. There had been a good bit of sled traffic on the trail so although it was a bit soft, it was runnable, at least for this short section, without screw shoes or snowshoes. Luckily the 282s have great traction! Once I hit the road, I turned into the wind. Brrr. It was at this point that I realized I didn't really have any umph in my legs. I felt tired. And my legs felt heavy. Oh well. I put my head down, and just ran. Once I got to the dirt section of road on the backside of the loop, I felt a bit better. Here the road was down to packed snow, which crunched beneath my feet and I was sheltered a bit from the wind. Unfortunately, the wind returned with a vengence as I ran back over the powerlines and on the last stretch of road. I definitely don't think I had as fun of a run as all the snowshoe runners this morning, that's for sure, but at least I got out there and got a few miles in. 5.0 in 47:23.

No comments: