Thursday, January 27, 2011

Short and Snowy

More snow this morning. But nothing like what our friends further south have received. We only got another inch of so of fluffy white stuff overnight. Just enough to freshen up the snow cover and make the roads a bit messier. After cutting my long run short yesterday, I am determined to make up a few of those lost miles and at least get to 30 miles for the week. So, after dropping Sam off at daycare, I came home, grabbed snowshoes and headed out the door to get in a short snowshoe run across the street.

With the snow just ending, and the skies still overcast, the light was very flat. I knew there was a lot of drifted snow on the trail, but I couldn't really tell what was going to be soft and what would be packed as I ran along. A bit weird. I started on the powerlines and then went up to check out "Ryan's" loop. He had packed it well last week, and it was still an easy-to-follow deep trough cut through the snow. I ran down that, and then decided to take a set of tracks leading to the Highland Green golf course. Unfortunately, as I got to the golf course I realized the wind had been whipping around, obliterating the tracks and making for some really slow going. I ended up walking a bit up a few hills, slogging through the deep, soft snow, before turning around, as I just wasn't up for major trail breaking this morning. I got back on Ryan's track, and ran a loop on the powerlines before heading back up into the woods to run a bit more. And then, it was back to the high school road, off with the snowshoes and back home. 3 miles. Short and sweet. And slow. But it was nice to play in the snow for a bit!

No comments: