Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Meadow Cross Loop

We only worked a half day up at the gallery today, so I was done at 2pm. After a few errands, I was dressed and out the door by 2:50. I had 8 miles penciled in for tomorrow, but with the snowstorm we're supposed to get, I figured if I wanted to get the miles in, I had better go today. I typically don't run long on the roads from home, but Ryan had an 8-mile loop mapped out, one that I have actually driven many times in the past year when trying to put Sam for a nap. The route goes up Rt. 201 for a bit and then turns onto Meadow Cross Road, wandering through the countryside and eventually connecting up to Rt. 196. Then it is back on Rt. 196 to Rt. 201. The section along Meadow Cross is actually quite scenic, with nice and rolling terrain, through open fields and past a few farms. Nothing too tough, but there are enough little dips and hills to keep you working. However, the last 2 miles along 196 were pretty brutal. Yes, the shoulder is really wide, but it was almost 4:00 in the afternoon by the time I reached that section, and there was a constant stream of traffic, not to mention this stretch was in my face the whole way. I had to run past both the on and off ramps to 295, and run the busy stretch from the Topsham Mall back up to Rt. 201. I was not pleased on this stretch, but it did make me pick up the pace a bit in those final miles, that's for sure :-) I finished the 8.0 miles in 1:05:48. I was trying to run a decent but measured effort, and I succeeded for the most part, I think, with my slowest mile being my first (8:35) and the fastest being miles 3, 7 and 8 (8:05s). Pretty happy with that.

And with that run done, bring on the snow! It would be nice to get some skiing in this weekend for sure!

No comments: