Friday, August 20, 2010

Three Times Three

This has been the week of threes. I got out Wednesday and Thursday nights for quick runs after Sam went to bed and before dinner, running against the darkness. Wednesday, I had planned to do 5 miles, but Ryan had driven back from New Hampshire that evening and hadn't run during the day, so he wanted to run too. It seemed selfish to run 5 and have him run in the dark, so three it was. Thursday, I was tired, and three was all I could muster up.

And this morning, I was trying to cram in a run before Sam woke up and Ryan took off for work, and as I didn't get up quite as early as I had hoped, so yup, you guessed it, another three. I headed out at 5:40, just as the sky was getting light. A low fog had settled on the shrubs and grasses along the powerlines, and the sky was a layer of soft pinks and oranges, the rising sun lighting up the purple-tinged wisps of clouds along the horizon. Beautiful.

I know these short runs aren't the best training for Stonecat, but I have to roll with the punches these days and at least I'm getting out there, no matter what the length. My parents will be in town this weekend, and Ryan and I are planning to take advantage of it, and go for a run at Bradbury on Monday. I'm planning to run 18 miles - a big leap from the 11 and 12 mile runs I've been doing lately, but I need to get in some longer runs so I'm just going to go for it! This will also be a chance for me to run the Bruiser course in preparation for the race in September!

4 comments:

middle.professor said...

what about a treadmill? I know, anathema. Just make a promise to sell it as soon as Sam can take care of herself for an hour while you go run outside.

Sparkplug said...

Jeff, I know, believe me, we have thought about a treadmill in times like these, and while they're not my favorite, dreadmills do have their place! Our problem is that our place is so small and there is just no room for a treadmill other than smack dab in the middle of the kitchen! Ah well...

middle.professor said...

You'd be the trophy wife! You could cook, watch Sam, and keep slim and trim (uh, I mean fit and fast) at the same time. What's not to love? Ryan could come home after a hard day of work and just sit and watch football. You could even get Ryan a beer during your jog intervals between fast repeats.

Sparkplug said...

Ha! Now that would be something!! :-)