Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Heavy Clouds, No Rain

Sam was up this morning at 5am to eat. Needless to say, it was dark out. After I fed her, I padded back into our room, turned off the alarm scheduled to beep a few minutes later, and got dressed for a short run. It was still dark. I had a snack. Fed the cats. Did a few things in the kitchen. It was still dark. Finally I figured I had better just head out the door and run despite the fact that the sun had not yet come up. So, by 5:35, I was running down our street, headed for the powerlines. It was still dark out, but things were lightening up just the tiniest bit and I knew that the sun was rising somewhere overhead, even if I couldn't tell due to the heavy cloudcover. In fact, 17 minutes later, when I was running through the one wooded section of this particular loop, under the thick canopy of trees, it still seemed like the middle of the night. Good thing I know this section of trail inside and out, and that it is wide and not too rocky or rooty!

The 3 miles definitely loosened up my legs, and I felt pretty good. I'm planning to head out early again tomorrow morning. I think I might just suit up with my headlamp and go as soon as I am up and ready, even if it is still dark out. I need to get a little bit of headlamp training in for the early start 6:15am at Stonecat anyway!

2 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Well done! These shortening days are sweet, I can only imagine the cloud cover exaggerated it. Your training has been kicking butt lately, looking great for Stone Cat!

Sparkplug said...

Thanks Jamie! I'm trying :-) Your training seems to be coming along pretty well too - you're doing some fast running - bring on MDI!!