Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Deluge

Sam didn't sleep at all (nope, not a wink!) today at daycare so she was in bed early. Amazingly, she was in a really good mood when I picked her up - I just don't know how she does it! So, with the little munchkin asleep, I was out the door at 6:45pm for my run. As I headed out the door, Ryan looked at the sky and said, 'you're gonna get wet.' Wet, indeed.

It started to sprinkle as I ran down our road, but it felt nice. A good change from the 80 degree weather earlier today. Then, a few minutes later, the winds picked up and it got dark. And it started to rain. Really rain. Puddles and little streams formed where a minute earlier it had been bone-dry. Large rain drops pelted my bare shoulders (I was suited up in the nice Sporthill tank that Linda and Bethany passed along to me. Thanks guys!), and my head was down in an effort to keep the rain out of my eyes. Still, it was sort of fun! I splashed through the puddles and enjoyed it, as by this point, I was wet and knew I would remain that way until I got back home.

All I could hear was the drumming of the rain on the ground. As I ran down the hill to the snowmobile trail, I had to really concentrate on the ground as it was hard to see the roots and rolls of the trail with the rain and the flat light. I was concentrating so hard, I didn't see the mountain biker headed in the other direction until I was almost next to him. We said a quick hello, and smiled at each other, both happy to be out playing in the rain.

As I finished up the loop through the Homeplace neighborhood, the rain let up a bit and I could see brightening skies to the east, but heading back towards Topsham Crossing, the skies were still dark, the clouds heavy, with a nice pink band of light along the horizon as the sun set. I thought I might get a reprieve and get to dry out a bit in the final mile, but instead, thunder and lightening rolled through, just as I was heading up the last big hill on the powerlines. Lovely. I picked up the pace in the hopes of outrunning whatever was coming next, but to no avail. More wind and a wall of rain greeted me. There would be no drying out for me on this run! I finished the 5 miles in 44:00, soaking wet, but happy. Certainly not a boring evening run :-)

3 comments:

sn0m8n said...

Not pictured: the delicious dinner made by your husband upon your arrival home.

Scout said...

Sounds like a great run!

Sparkplug said...

Dinner was grand, and yes, Valerie, it was a fun run!