Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sunrise

I have always liked doing my running in the morning, but my morning runs have never been as early as they are now. I headed out at 5:40. It was cool. 55 degrees. I shivered slightly as I took my first few steps, but smiled, relishing the cool, crisp feel of the morning air against my arms. As I crested the first hill on the powerlines and ran down to the Highland Green Road, I watched as the thin band of clouds turned deep purple and florescent pink, the sort of color you see in sunrise photographs and think isn't real. I listened to my friend the Towhee calling in the bushes, and felt the toes of my feet get wet with the dew as I ran down through the edge of the high school fields, the baseball diamond coated in a low layer of morning clouds. Just three miles this morning, and while I will admit that I'm looking forward to sleeping in a little tomorrow morning, it is nice to be out and running in the quiet of the morning, before the rest of the world (or at least the rest of the house) is awake. And what a way to start the day.

No comments: