Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Highland 12

Due to scheduling and weather, I didn't get out for the 12-miler penciled into my planner on Sunday or Monday, so Ryan was nice enough to agree to watch Sam this morning so I could go out and run. The idea was that I would head out right after she went down for her morning nap, and she'd sleep most of the time I was gone. Well, it didn't exactly happen that way (sorry honey!) but I was out wandering the back roads of Brunswick, so I didn't know that until I got home.

Highland is a great 12 mile route, but man is it mean! Yes, the first 2 and the last 3 miles are flat as a pancake, but those middle miles, well, they more than make up for it! The route heads out Pleasant Hill, wandering through the fields, which today looked a bit desolate with the grey sky above and no snow, and out onto Highland Road, past a number of farms and through rolling hills. Then it heads down to the ocean before turning towards town. Normally the fields and the trees along the route are filled with enough birds to keep me amused, but today all was quiet.

I felt pretty good the whole way, although that could have been from the cup of coffee consumed beforehand and the caffeinated Chocolate GU consumed at mile 5 :-) Although I was trying to keep myself in check, I ended up finishing off the loop in 1:43:30, or 8:37 pace. I know this won't exactly translate into fast running on the trails at Pineland, but it's nice to know I can keep up a decent pace (for me) on my longest run to date this year.

Although Sam didn't sleep well today, she was a champ this afternoon during Mom and Dad's visit. I guess all that constant attention from the grandparents will do that! :-)

4 comments:

Scout said...

Great work! Sounds fast to me.

Jamie Anderson said...

Well done! You're mileage is building nicely. Just in time for spring!

Sparkplug said...

Thanks guys! I'm trying :-)

sn0m8n said...

My wife kicks ass.