Sunday, March 28, 2010

2 Hour Intervals

I don't know about you, but being woken up at 10:30, 12:30, 2:30, 5:00 by a restful and/or hungry child and finally up for the day at 6:30 isn't exactly restful. This was our Friday night. I don't know what is up with Sam, whether it's a phase, teething, a growth spurt or just a bad night, but whatever it is, it isn't nice. And it isn't good for training. But regardless, as I had only run twice this week, I dragged myself out of bed on Saturday morning for a run. I was not feeling very peppy, to say the least. I headed out on the powerlines in my Inov-8s, with the temperature hovering around 20 degrees and the sun shining brightly. With all the rain we've had recently and the recent plunge in temperature, the conditions on the lines were interesting. There were frozen puddles, thin ice cascades on the ledges, frozen sand, dirt, along with lots and lots of hoar frost in the mud and sand that made for very uneven footing.

Usually as I run, the negative thoughts come and then disappear, but this morning I'll admit that even as I was nearing the end of the run, I was still feeling a bit defeated. Not sleeping will do that to you, I guess. But as I was passing Topsham Crossing, I noticed a fox dart across the road, which made me smile. Then I looked left, and caught a glimpse of something else moving. I looked again - it was a big white rooster, with a bright red head and yellow feet, slipping and sliding across the frozen puddles in the field. I had to look a few more times to make sure I wasn't seeing things! It was very funny looking. Ryan is convinced I was so sleep deprived I was hallucinating, but I swear I saw it!

In other news, and in what seems like a world far, far away, 5 years ago today, Ryan and I took our first steps out of Amicalola State Park in Georgia to start our journey on the Appalachian Trail. I do love my life as it is now, but part of me wishes I could be back out there on the trail, following the white blazes north, with all I need on my back, enjoying the journey with all our AT friends. Yes, it was a hard journey, full of sweat and tears and sore muscles and injuries, and to be honest, getting up every day and putting on the shoes and hiking was tough, but it was also one of the most wonderful adventures and experiences I've ever had. It was 4 months, and more, filled with much joy and laughter and some of the best people and places, and I miss it! I hope that someday, Sam gets to experience something similar.

4 comments:

mindy said...

I think it only counts as a hallucination if the rooster and fox were wearing viking hats and playing the banjo.
Don't know if you listen to Teresa Strasser's podcast (about parenting - really great), but they are going to have a sleep expert on sometime soon, I'll let you know when it's on. Till then, hang in there, we need to get together soon!

Scout said...

My Ryan went through that at about the same age. I found a technique that seemed to work for us. Perhaps I better email it (too long for a comment). Hang in there!

Sparkplug said...

Mindy -OK, so no viking hats or banjo playing, so I think I'm good ;-) And yes, we need to get together soon!
Val, I got your email - thanks! She is headed to daycare next week so I'm not going to try anything until she settles in there, but what you did sounds like a reasonable way to do sleep training without hopefully too much crying!! I think we will be trying it at some point...

middle.professor said...

2 hour intervals are too long. Intervals should only be a few minutes long at most. Your body will break down if you keep doing these 2 hour intervals.